Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Welp, I can see the ocean...

Hello all! Happy Wednesday morning to you all. I have made it to my new area safe and sound. Here is a hint or two: It took 7 hours on a train to get here and I can see the ocean. Want to know more? It is just above Portugal. Alright, It´s Vigo!!! I am now serving in the area of Vigo. The next question: Who is my companion? Welp, I don´t want to give away BOTH pieces of good news at once, so you can either skip the rest of the letter and read at the bottom, or you can be patient and wait through the whole letter, cause I´m saving it for last :)


So, the last week. It has gone by pretty fast. Wednesday I don´t really remember a ton happening, and Thursday was kind of boring. We had our weekly planning, but since Elder Gardner and I knew that our area was getting closed, we had nothing to plan for. So we just gave our investigators to Elder Ketchum and Elder Driggs, who both knew them all already anyways. Then we just watched them plan hahaha. Friday was a good day. We taught a few lessons and whatnot. Then Saturday morning we found out about transfers. We had a correlation meeting at 9:00 in the morning, everybody else found out at 9:30, and then I found out at like 10:15 haha. Lame. The Elder with the assistants found out that much longer after everybody else. I wasn´t too torn up about it though. I was super excited to be going up on the beach! Not that there is really a beach like you would imagine. And even if there was, I wouldn´t be allowed to go there. Sunday was a day of saying good bye to people from Barrio 2. I didn´t really get to know people there tooo super well, but there was about 4 people that I wanted to say goodbye to and I got to say goodbye to them all. One was Gino, the ward mission leader. He´s legit. Next was Gorki and Gloria. They´re recent converts and they´re super stoked about the work. Gorki is going to be like a general authority when he learns who they are hahaha. Another was Riqui. He is a RM that served in Utah. He speaks perfect English. He is a ward missionary now. And then Kati and Marco, another recent convert family. Marco was actually a less active (he didn´t even know, I don´t think) that the assistants re-activated and then his wife was baptised, and then their two daughters are the Javiera and Francisca baptism from my first transfer. Anyways, they gave me a book-map of Spain when they found out I was shipping off to Vigo. How kind of them. Sunday night was the pack-fest and good bye party. Apparently there are like 15 different tie ceremonies. Who´da thunk? Monday was the day of travel. We all (everybody that was being transferred and their companions) showed up at the Stake Center at 10:30. Most of the people took off around 11:00 but our train was at 2:20, so we didn´t leave until 1. Just hung out in the stake center. Elder Mcgrath is going up north too, and him and I have become pretty good friends in our short times together haha so we just hung out together. Then we hopped on a 7 hour train! It went by fast. I wrote a couple of letters and got to send those off when I got to Vigo. Oh, by the way, my address in Vigo is:

Elder Tanton Jeppson
Rúa Arzobispo Xelmirez 3, 4
36203 Vigo Galicia
España

Letters are great to this address, but packages are still best at the mission office, I believe. You can send them here I think, but it´s a little riskier (I just have to go pick them up from the nearest correos office). It does take like a long time for the office to get packages up here to the North though. I do know we have a Zone conference around the 23rd of March, so I will get any office packages that day. After that, I have no idea. So if it´s urgent, you could send it right to me. I´ll let anybody make the decision for themselves on that.

Here´s a great story though. The office missionary that printed off my ticket printed it off twice thinking it was two different tickets, and so he gave it to me, and a different elder too. Well, the other elder went through the gate before me, and then I got owned and they denied me. Anyways, after a little bit of spanish upset-ness at me, I figured out what they were saying and asked if I could just buy another ticket. They told me that I could, but on the train. So they let me through, all was well. Eventually, some guy on the train asked me for my money. Well, I don´t have 50 euros left on my mission card, so I figured I would just use my card from home. Lo and behold, they don´t accept cards on the train. So he tells me that I have to pay or else they´re going to kick me off in Ourense, which is not quite Vigo. Well, I ask him how long we´ll be stopped there. 12 minutes. So I had to book it off the train, find an ATM, and get the money in Ourense. It´s ok though, I got it done eventually. Made it to Vigo safe and sound. Now I live in Vigo. We have 4 in our piso, and it´s bigger than the one we just had 6 in. It´s a lot nicer piso, but the water heater is not as good...:/ Life is just never perfect is it? ;) I live with Elder Soliz, Elder Hoskins, and Elder.......(My companion). It´s already some good times. It´s definitely a ton different than living with the Assistants though. That´s good and bad. Nonetheless, I couldn´t live with them forever, eh? So Vigo is a lot like San Francisco, without the first thing everybody thinks of when they think of San Francisco....The trolley. That thing is called a trolley, right? Anyways. It´s right here on a bay of the ocean. It´s crazy to me that I have seen like sandy beaches and the ocean today already. Life is too rough! The people here are more Spanish. There is also a different language spoken here. Gallego, or Galego. Not sure which way it´s spelled. But all the signs have Spanish and that language. And all of the street names are in Gal(l)ego. Rúa means calle, which means street. Just in case anybody caught that in my address up there.

Here I am, onto the new companion. His name is Elder Quevedo, and he is a native from Ecuador! Yay. He lived in Barcelona for the last 8 years though. In fact, he took mission prep with Elder Tuesta. So mom, if you see Elder Tuesta again, tell him hi from both of us, haha. What a small world, eh? I was really surprised when I found that out. How cool, right? I am so glad I got a native! He´s like a big teddy bear hahaha he would probably kill me if he knew I said that about him. He speaks practically no english. He knows enough that I recognize words he says, usually. The real problem is that I still don´t know how to say a lot of stuff in Spanish. That gives us a little bit of a language barrier, but we´ll get through it. I am going to learn Spanish like a champion now. Or so I hope. I really do struggle to understand him a lot. He is very soft spoken. He says he has a dry throat right now. I´ll see if I can get him to speak up or if I can get my spanish mind to speed up haha. That´s all I really have about that. How lucky am I?

Welp, That´s all for this week really. Thank you Krista, Doug, Trey, and Krew for the pictures you drew me! I am going to hang them up in my study area and tell everybody that my nephews fight as fiercely as Ammon! I can´t see the pictures in your blog emails though Krista, I am not sure why...
Mom, I sent you a little mini package thing today. There are a couple of letters in there that I would love if you could forward them to everybody. I figured it would be cheaper to send them to you and then have you slap a cheaper US stamp on them than the .80 euros it costs from here. Thank you. I think you´ll like it. If you could also please get me Riley Hazeldine´s address, Kyle Becker´s address (in Montana, I think), and the addresses to the Mission homes in Des Moines Iowa mission, and Rancagua Chile mission. That´d be fantastic. Thanks!
Dad, Thank you for the line of authority and 4 generation pedigree chart. It´s exactly what I needed. I just need the husband from Grandma Vinson. So mom, that´s your job! I love you both.

Thank you all for your support! It really helps me. Letters, prayers, emails, jokes, sayings (especially Melissa´s), everything. Thank you all. I love you all. It is 6:30 here, time to go teach!

Love,
Elder Jeppson

P.S. My first lesson in Vigo was with Ana Belen. She was all torn up that Elder Holub left. She has a baptism date and wanted him to baptize her. I mostly wrote this part so that someday if I get to read these letters again I will remember that lesson. haha I forgot to write about it in my journal. Ohhhhh Ana Belen....

No comments:

Post a Comment